Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Living under the Cross

I was once again reminded in early morning hours the sweetness of calvary love. I thought I would share some of what I read in Spurgeon's Morning and Evening: "The hill of comfort is the hill of Calvary; the house of consolation is built with the wood of the cross...No scene in sacred history ever gladdens the soul like Calvary's tragedy.In that place of thirst, grace hath dug a fountain which ever gusheth with waters pure as crystal, each drop capable of alleviating the woes of mankind. You who have had your seasons of conflict, will confess that it was not at Olivet that you ever found comfort, not on the hill of Sinai, nor on Tabor; but Gethsemane, Gabbatha, and Golgotha have been a means of comfort to you. The bitter herbs of Gethsemane have often taken away the bitters of your life; the scourge of Gabbatha has often scourged away your cares, and the groans of Calvary yields us comfort rare and rich. We never should have known Christ's love in all its heights and depths if He had not died; nor could we guess the Father's deep affection if He had not given His Son to die. He who would know love, let him retire to Calvary and see the Man of sorrows die." Isn't it interesting he states that the most horrible event in all of history, namely, the killing of the innocent Christ for our sin, is also the place where the heavy concience discovers the most joy and peace. I find this to be so true! When I feel the flesh and the devil trying to pull me away from the Lord because of my sin - impatience or anger with my children, neglect of the spiritual disciplines, anxiety or when I am discouraged at my lack of faith and godliness (just to name a few!), then I come to the cross and see Christ there for me, his body bleeding and broken, I find rest and forgiveness. I find an intense amount of peace and motivation for holiness. What freedom to know, I AM a sinner in need of grace! I HAVE failed your law Lord (indeed, in every way) but there on the cross I see one punished for me who NEVER sinned against you, who ALWAYS kept your law, who loved you at all times with RIGHT affections never lacking as I do...and I have HIS righteouness? Oh what a precious salvation God has provided for us. Nothing has come from us, all has come from him to his glory. And I find that this is what energizes me most to fight sin and pursue God, when I encounter his great mercy toward me in Jesus. I truly find power to change only through seeing life in view of calvary. Often times don't we think "The gospel is when I came to Christ for salvation at one point and then it's all up to me to grow in godliness and up to me to muster up the power to change...". We must preach to our legalistic hearts often that all of life must be lived under the gospel. From this flows goldy, fruitful living as women, wives and mothers. Will you please join me today as I once again 'build a house of consolation with the wood of the cross'?

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly; wash me, Savior, or I die.

No comments: