Friday, November 5, 2010

I have thought many times about how I would start this post.
Much can be said. Much can not be said.
But I want to involve you all as much as possible.
As I have seen in the year and a half since Shepherd was born, involving others on the journey is always more rewarding.
It's like walking into a dressing room with lots of mirrors.
With all of the mirrors you get to see how the dress fits from many angles.
Having you all join our family, wherever God takes us, I get the chance to see what God is doing more clearly, through many eyes, many hearts, many perspectives.
It helps me see Him.
It helps me see His hand more vividly.
And so, I want to share with you something God is doing in our lives in this season.

Almost a year ago, our family watched news clips and read stories online, tracking the horror of a poor country called Haiti. Before this, to be honest, I hadn't thought that much about this little suffering country.
I've always been a bit of a bleeding heart. (ok, maybe more than a bit)
It' s just how God made me.
It makes for a passionate and compassionate heart.
It also makes for bad company to watch the evening news:) And very little rational thinking.
And it only occasionally invokes an eye roll from those nearest to me.

The good and the bad...there it is.
And then there's the man I married. Could he possibly have known what he was getting into?!
Yup. Did it anyway.
I think it has something to do with the fact that he is also one of the most compassionate men I've ever met.
He hides it under a beard and witty humor...but his secret is out.
He's a big, fat, softy.
Purely emotionally speaking.
I guess I should say he's a fine, muscular, hunk of a man, with a gargantuan heart.
The only difference between he and I is... the rational part to his brain is in fine working condition.
And still...
he and I both agreed that as long as God makes a way...
we want to walk down a seemingly difficult road.
It's a road with way more questions than answers.
It's a road that will give us MUCH practice in that thing called FAITH.
It's a road some would not have us walk down for fear of the unknown.
But I don't have to know all the stops along the journey if I know the destination.
And the destination,ultimately, is knowing my father better and displaying His beauty along the way.
Is the suspense killing you yet?

Alright, alright...
here is where I would enter said picture...only I've decided that isn't the best idea for a number of reasons.
So, though I long to introduce you in "person," I'll have to stick with words and pray that God does the rest.
The people I want to introduce you to will affectionately be called M&M. It's not all that brilliant. Both their names start with an M! What's a girl to do?!
M&M are at an orphanage in Haiti. There are, like I said, many details I cannot share.
They are brother and sister and are somewhere around the ages of 6 and 3. One of them was born with congenital cataracts in both eyes and is basically blind.
Despite this, after I put a dress on his sister one morning, I watched him gently nudge me aside and take over buttoning every. single. button on is little sister's dress.
They have done much surviving together. alone.
Our hope is that he would benefit greatly from surgery that is only offered here in the states. And so we have been searching for a surgeon who would be willing to help him.
But most of all, we long to provide them both with a family. We long to give them 5 more people who care about every milestone. 3 little boys who know what it's like to be broken in some way and still walk forward in the beauty that God offers. Brothers who have learned something about the many beautiful and unexpected ways God makes people.
Parents who consider it an honor to share in this journey.
This is what we long for. And for those who know anything about adoption from Haiti. It is no understatement to call it impossible. And with each additional tragedy befalling this nation, it complicates even more.
There are so many unknowns surrounding the process for us. But it does appear that God has made a way for us to adopt these children without many of the common obstacles.
Time will tell what God has in store for this journey.
That part isn't really my business.
But of this we are sure.
We will walk forward in this 100%, trusting the author and perfecter of our faith.

Will you please pray with and for us? It would be a lie if I didn't admit that I dread the adoption process. I would feel much better of I could tell you that it's all going to go as we hope. But I can't say that can I ?
It's kind of like practicing your big recital in front of an audience. It feels much safer to perfect it and THEN go out and play. But that would be selfish.
I want you all in on this. It's not my story. It's not my thing. It's God's.
Since I have no ownership over it, it's not mine to decide who gets to hear it.


Psalm 131

"O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;

my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore."

With all of this said, know that there will be some changes to the blog as we try to raise funds for the adoption.
I intend to start a "fundraising store" on the blog where you can easily access products that will help us through the adoption process (t shirts, jewelry, other things still yet unkown). I'm actually very excited about a number of fundraising ideas that are out there right now. Let it just be said, I have some very talented friends and family and they are going all out to help make this happen. And this is, at least so far, the biggest challenge we face. It's the whole money thing. You know like...we don't have any. Soooo, just a minor hiccup and we're looking forward to seeing how God wants to do this thing. Apparently it's not through my high paying career choice:)
FYI This coming weekend, November 13th, if you live in the triangle area, we are going to be doing a yard sale at our house (yes, last minute, but the timing just works) and all the proceeds will go to the adoption. So, this means if you, like me, have decided you don't want to hunker down for the winter with the junk you call "excess," I have a better idea! Help us adopt with it:)
Like I said, I will be sharing more about fundraising in the future, but if you think of any grand ideas or you have grand talents and gifts that could help us raise funds, please send me a message! We need all the ideas we can get:)
In the book, "God is no stranger," there are many prayers from Haitian believers, translated into english. So in the words of our fellow brothers and sisters in Haiti....
"Senye,
Mesi deske ou ban nou non Kretyen. Kounyeya, ban nou fos pou nou pote'l."

"Lord,
Thank you that you have given us the name Christian. Now, give us strength to carry it."

And now for some more images from the Market...the people...the beauty of Haiti.







And of course, the humor....
I continuously passed by this "bank" wondering why patience was so urgently needed? Can the waits really be that long?
Well they can when your waiting to win the lottery:) I guess "bank" is a loose term. Who knew the best way to practice patience was to gamble?
I'm going with adoption.

1 comment:

Heather Mattern said...

Oh how my heart heaves with prayers for your family! I cant wait to see how Father does a mighty work in all of this, bringing those little ones home.