Thursday, September 18, 2008

God is my nanny

You know when you aren't sure if you have ACTUALLY been busy or just a really bad time manager? Well, I feel I have been there for the past couple of weeks, resulting, among many other things in , no posting. I have been sooooooooo tired with this baby. I hate to laugh about it when I can tell that those closest to me are NOT enjoying it as much. But let me just give you an example of pregnancy brain.... A couple of weeks ago, I was with my sister's and their kids at Miranda's house. it had been a while since we had all been together and I offered to make us some sweet tea while walking around in a tired daze like a zombie. A good picture of I how I have been feeling is the picture to your left. Now, should he be attempting to cook? I think not. So in my zombie like state I grabbed my sister's ELECTRIC kettle (this is key). Now, I spent a year in Europe using electric kettles daily and I am very familiar with how they function, so it was not out of ignorance that I filled it with water.... then set it on the EYE OF THE STOVE!!! and then put that same eye on HIGH!! and went and casually sat down on the couch while I awaited our boiling water. mmm sweet tea will be so good I thought. As I dreamed if iced cold tea, my very smart niece, Felicity caught my attention making bird like noises and staring at the stove. As I sat there for a moment pondering her awkward behavior,  (still like a zombie. Not her but me) I noticed smoke billowing up from the stove. Now out of my zombie state momentarily, I leaped off the couch and grabbed the ELEC. kettle of the stove in time for the eye to burst into flames. By the grace of God and having had zombie-mom replaced with protector-mom I used a wet towel like Zorro's whip and extinguished the flames. Then the chaos really began. All 8 children under the age of 4 were screaming, the fire alarm was screeching and the horrid smell of burning plastic permeated the apartment. We were able to get them all out on the porch and calmed down while the alarms finally went off. 
Just thought I'd let you know how brainless I have been and that I  praise God that he is watching when I am not. And if you are reading this story and I have recently not lived up to your expectations in some way.... just be glad I am not trying to burn down your house:)
Ladies, isn't it seasons like this we are aware of our need for God's provision and his grace and help. Just to get through the day to day with out 3rd degree burns, ya know. wow. But seriously as I sat there today thinking, woah this zombie thing is NOT helpful, as I attempted preparation for a garage sale, I wondered why I was not seriously worried about the safety of my children with a mom who puts electric kettles on stoves. Cause secretly I think grandma is ;) Just kidding, mom.  But I realized that though there are moments I am sobered by my mental and physical inabilities, I am not seriously concerned because I know how near my Lord is, forever near and forever sovereign God. So thank you Lord, for being such a good nanny when I am a neglectful, tired mommy.  I have it way better than those famous people with all the helping hands of like 3 nannies. I have God as my helper. You are always close to us and know my needs and the needs of my family more than I do.
Isaiah 40:28-29
" Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God the creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. he gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength."

Isaiah 41:10
"Fear not for I am with you; Be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Isaiah 41:13
"For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you "fear not, I am the one who helps you."

No comments: